Thursday, May 04, 2006



I MISS IT A LOT SOMETIMES...

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my house, and the fact that I have my own (albeit tiny tiny) backyard, and that everyday I hear kids playing outside and hear the birds chirping when I open my eyes in the morning...BUT I often miss living downtown. Rob has been working nights this week, and I'm kinda lonely and bored. I lived downtown Vancouver for 6 years, and then downtown Ottawa for a year before buying a house in the suburbs...and I loved how no matter what time of day it was, there was always somewhere I could walk to, to window shop, grab a Starbucks, walk the dog, people watch...etc. The grass is always greener...because I used to complain about the noise, dirty streets, bums, loud drunks and all the other urban things that make a downtown, downtown. But I find myself missing all that. I even have an urban dog, who quickly learned the "routine" of being tied up at a Starbucks or Second Cup patio, and getting to drink fancy ice water from a cup (instead of his usual water bowl at home), while his owners drink their own fancy drinks! Rob and I dream that one day we can own a place right outside of the downtown core (in whichever city we wind up in), and then have a cottage somewhere in the country. The best of both worlds.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Yes, I know what you mean. I LOVE walking around a big city. I really miss it. When I used to go to Vancouver I would really feel 'alive'. It's hard to explain but I would often tell James as soon as we go downtown that I was feeling 'normal' again. Now it's different with kids. I love living in a no stress, no traffic, no pollution, no bums.

Anonymous said...

Joyce, joyce, joyce get a minivan and low-maintenace hairdo. I drove down Main today, you are not missing much! The junkies are still carrying on, the cart pushers are still pushing and the quebec squeegie kids are still making your windshield dirtier than ever.